LJH Digital Storm

Critic Corner 1

Austin Kizer, Reporter

Looking for a great book to read, however, you just can’t choose from the million of titles out there? Well, welcome to the Critic Corner, the place where we review books for you!

Today I’m going to be reviewing “Ready Player One,” a science fiction novel by Ernest Cline. To start, however, here is a brief summary according to goodreads.com, “In the year 2044, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he’s jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade’s devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world’s digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator’s obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can

unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade’s going to survive, he’ll have to win—and confront the real world he’s always been so desperate to escape.”

This book has an average of 4.31 stars out of 5 according to Goodreads. Now that you know a bit about the book, here’s a little professional review according to Kirkus, which says, “Video-game players embrace the quest of a lifetime in a virtual world; screenwriter Cline’s first novel is old wine in new bottles.” Kirkus even goes on saying, “Too much puzzle-solving, not enough suspense.” So, that was a professional opinion, however, that is most definitely not how I feel.

The puzzle solving intrigues the readers and, in my opinion, there is no need for suspense. While this book has a level of mystery with the puzzle solving, any other suspense would be unnecessary. Also, while it’s true that virtual realities are becoming frequent in many science fiction stories nowadays, there are many things that set this book apart from the rest. There are the countless references to 80s films, games, and tv shows, which is interesting because it ties this fictional world and reality together giving the reader something they can personally connect/relate to and maybe even recognize. Then there is competition going on throughout the story which adds action, mystery, and a little romance, too, that makes this book enjoyable for all readers! If I had to give this book a star rating, I would give it a 4.6 out of 5, for while it is a great book, there are some things that don’t bring it near perfect.

Did you agree with this review? Have a book you want reviewed? Post your thoughts in the comments!

Written By: Austin Kizer

Bibliography

Cline, Ernest. Ready Player One. New York: Crown, 2011. Print.

Goodreads. “Ready Player One.” Goodreads. Goddreads, n.d. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.

“READY PLAYER ONE by Ernest Cline | Kirkus Reviews.” Kirkus Reviews. Kirkus Reviews, n.d. Web. 28 Jan. 2016.

“Ready Player One.” Flickr. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 29 Jan. 2016.

Austin Kizer, Storm TV

Austin Kizer is currently an 8th grader at LJH. His hobbies include reading, writing, and riding his bike. In Mass Media, his skills mainly concern, but...

1 Comment

One Response to “Critic Corner 1”

1. Quincey Hess on February 9th, 2016 10:10 am

I personally haven’t read the book. However, I enjoy how clearly you outline the pro and cons of book, while at the same time acknowledging that there are opinions differing from your own that could possibly be a better fit for the book. Also, I liked the hint of humor and the relatable tone that can be found throughout your review.

Thank you for supporting LJH Digital Storm.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Critics Corner

Critic Corner – Ready Player One

• Critics Corner

Michael Vey; Prisoner of Cell 25: Critic Corner 2

• Critic Corner 1

Critics Corner

Critics Corner Week 2, Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25

• Critic Corner 1

Contests

TRIVIA TIME- WEEK OF 3.18.19

• Critic Corner 1

Storm TV

STORM TV 3.18.19

• Critic Corner 1

Storm TV

STORM TV- FRIDAY- 3.15.19

• Critic Corner 1

Storm TV

STORM TV- MONDAY- 3.11.19

• Critic Corner 1

Storm TV

STORM TV 3.8.19

• Critic Corner 1

Sports

WRESTLERS TRAVEL TO LAKEVIEW FOR WIN

• Critic Corner 1

Sports

LJH GOLF PREPARES FOR SEASON

Lincoln Junior High Student News Website
Critic Corner 1