LJH Digital Storm

Critics Corner Week 2, Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25

Looking for a great book to read, however, you just can’t choose from the million of titles out there? Well, welcome to the week two of Critic Corner, the place where we review books for you!

Today I’m going to be reviewing “Michael Vey; Prisoner of Cell 25,” by Richard Paul Evans. To start, here is a brief description according to goodreads.com, “My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story. To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers. Michael thinks he’s unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.”

This book has an average of 4.16 out of 5 according to Goodreads. Now that you know a bit about the book, here’s a little professional review according to Publishers Weekly, which says, “Evans (The Christmas Box) enters the YA market with this fast-paced, if predictable tale of a teenager with superpowers and the conspiracy that created him.” Publishers Weekly continues, stating, “Evans delivers a pair of believable lead characters—Taylor has wits and personal integrity, while Michael’s Tourette’s syndrome, coupled with an emotional jolt from his past, adds dimension—but generic dialogue and lackluster villains result in a by-the-numbers thriller.” So, that was a professional opinion, and while I do agree with some components of this review, I do not agree with some parts at the same time.

The review states that the book is, “fast-paced” and “predictable,” and while I agree that the book is fast-paced, which isn’t a bad thing in this book’s case, I do not believe that this book is predictable. Around every corner there is something new and unexpected; it is a real page turner. The review also states that “Evans,” the author, “delivers a pair of believable lead characters,” and this brings me to another point. These are characters that you can relate to and connect with, and that is something special and rare that authors can pull off, which is something that makes this book amazing! Yet as the review goes on, it also states that it has “generic dialogue” and “lackluster villains” that just make it a “by-the-numbers thriller.” This is something that I most definitely disagree with, for this book is unique; nowhere else have I heard this story. Also, the villain, I’m not going to state his name for spoiler reasons, isn’t “lackluster” at all, he is full of force and conviction. This is a great read for science fiction lovers out there, it is packed with action, adventure, and heart, however, this is not the most exciting book in the “Michael Vey” series, so I am awarding this book a 4.4 out of 5.

Did you agree with this review? Have a book you want reviewed? Post your thoughts in the comments!

Written By: Austin Kizer

Bibliography

Barnes & Nobles. “The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey Series #1).” Barnes & Nobles. Barnes & Nobles, n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.

Goodreads. “The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1).” Goodreads. Goodreads, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.