LJH Digital Storm

Michael Vey; Prisoner of Cell 25: Critic Corner 2

Austin Kizer, Staff Reporter

Looking for a great book to read, however, you just can’t choose from the million of titles out there? Well, welcome to the week two of Critic Corner, the place where we review books for you!

Today I’m going to be reviewing “Michael Vey; Prisoner of Cell 25,” by Richard Paul Evans. To start, here is a brief description according to goodreads.com, “My name is Michael Vey, and the story I’m about to tell you is strange. Very strange. It’s my story. To everyone at Meridian High School, Michael Vey is an ordinary fourteen-year-old. In fact, the only thing that seems to set him apart is the fact that he has Tourette’s syndrome. But Michael is anything but ordinary. Michael has special powers. Electric powers. Michael thinks he’s unique until he discovers that a cheerleader named Taylor also has special powers. With the help of Michael’s friend, Ostin, the three of them set out to discover how Michael and Taylor ended up this way, but their investigation brings them to the attention of a powerful group who wants to control the electric children – and through them the world. Michael will have to rely on his wits, powers, and friends if he’s to survive.”

This book has an average of 4.16 out of 5 according to Goodreads. Now that you know a bit about the book, here’s a little professional review according to Publishers Weekly, which says, “Evans (The Christmas Box) enters the YA market with this fast-paced, if predictable tale of a teenager with superpowers and the conspiracy that created him.” Publishers Weekly continues, stating, “Evans delivers a pair of believable lead characters—Taylor has wits and personal integrity, while Michael’s Tourette’s syndrome, coupled with an emotional jolt from his past, adds dimension—but generic dialogue and lackluster villains result in a by-the-numbers thriller.” So, that was a professional opinion, and while I do agree with some components of this review, I do not agree with some parts at the same time.

The review states that the book is, “fast-paced” and “predictable,” and while I agree that the book is fast-paced, which isn’t a bad thing in this book’s case, I do not believe that this book is predictable. Around every corner there is something new and unexpected; it is a real page turner. The review also states that “Evans,” the author, “delivers a pair of believable lead characters,” and this brings me to another point. These are characters that you can relate to and connect with, and that is something special and rare that authors can pull off, which is something that makes this book amazing! Yet as the review goes on, it also states that it has “generic dialogue” and “lackluster villains” that just make it a “by-the-numbers thriller.” This is something that I most definitely disagree with, for this book is unique; nowhere else have I heard this story. Also, the villain, I’m not going to state his name for spoiler reasons, isn’t “lackluster” at all, he is full of force and conviction. This is a great read for science fiction lovers out there, it is packed with action, adventure, and heart, however, this is not the most exciting book in the “Michael Vey” series, so I am awarding this book a 4.4 out of 5.

Did you agree with this review? Have a book you want reviewed? Post your thoughts in the comments!

Written By: Austin Kizer

Bibliography

Barnes & Nobles. “The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey Series #1).” Barnes & Nobles. Barnes & Nobles, n.d. Web. 9 Feb. 2016.

Goodreads. “The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1).” Goodreads. Goodreads, n.d. Web. 09 Feb. 2016.

Austin Kizer, Storm TV

Austin Kizer is currently an 8th grader at LJH. His hobbies include reading, writing, and riding his bike. In Mass Media, his skills mainly concern, but...

9 Comments

9 Responses to “Michael Vey; Prisoner of Cell 25: Critic Corner 2”

1. Robby Richards on February 18th, 2016 9:10 am

Nice book review Austin! I really enjoyed how you write your articles, I find them really interesting. Maybe now I will read this book because of this article, keep up the good work.

2. Carrie on February 18th, 2016 9:11 am

I enjoy reading your articles. I like how you had a great introduction and how it caught the readers attention. I like how you added a professional review about the book. I also like how you gave your own opinion on what you think of the book.

3. Presley on February 18th, 2016 9:22 am

I like your introduction it caught my attention. I like how you added your opinion as well. It really makes me want to read the book.

4. Matt Janus on February 18th, 2016 9:55 am

Wow, this was pretty cool and nicely written. You wrote about this book with a passion, making the book seem really awesome and fun. I can’t wait for your next article, so please write fast.

5. Jacob Kowatch on February 18th, 2016 10:04 am

Great review! I love how you explained both other peoples reviews and your own, gave hints into the book, and explained the plot in an interesting and captivating way!

6. Sophia Smith on February 18th, 2016 10:05 am

I love reading your articles. I also like how to started the review, and how it grabs a readers attention. I also like how you added the rate so that tells us that it really is a good book. I will look into it.

7. Evan Holcomb on February 18th, 2016 10:08 am

Austin this is a really good review this is very interesting and you should do it every week keep it up. LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT WEEKS CORNER.

8. Harlie on February 18th, 2016 10:56 am

Nice job writing your articles Austin! They are really intersting and fun to read. Keep up the good Work!

9. Quincey Hess on March 10th, 2016 10:12 am

You clearly assess your writing in a well thought out manner, but have an enjoyable witty side that made me smile. Overall, I feel you clearly stated your opinion , but willingly offered others too. It was a fun read!

Thank you for supporting LJH Digital Storm.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Lincoln Junior High Student News Website