LJH Digital Storm

Book Nook Week 6!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Book Nook Week 6!

Skye Allen, Staff Reporter

Hello and welcome to the Book Nook. Two weeks ago I did Scumble, If you want to read that. Today, I have another book to review that you might have heard of.

Book 6- Divergent

Published: March 21, 2014

Lexile: 700

Written by: Veronica Roth

Divergent book is about a choice, which can change her life forever. In this book, the world is different than the one you know. The world is divided up into different groups called factions. There is Abnegation, Candor, Dauntless, Erudite, and Amity.

Abnegation values selflessness; they govern the city. Candor values honesty; they are in charge of law. Dauntless value courage; they protect the city. Erudite value education; they give the city scientist’s and teachers.  Finally Amity values peace; they farm and provide food for the other faction’s.

Everyone at the age of 16 must take a test that they cannot even prepare for. The test that they take should help them choose which faction to choose. The choosing ceremony takes place the day after the test. The test puts the kids through a simulated world where they have to make certain decisions based on what’s happening. Based on the decisions that they make, the people testing them will rule out factions down to one. The faction not ruled out will be their best choice on which faction to choose.

The Divergent doesn’t  just have one faction, they have many. The Divergent are not supposed to exist.

Beatrice is turning 16, she is Abnegation, but she feels that she does not belong.  She thinks about leaving her family to join another faction. Beatrice tries to be selfless, she tries to belong, but even she knows that she does not.  She is different than her family; she thinks about herself. Her thought’s are not immediately on others; she is different.  What choice will beatrice make? Will she leave her family…..? Pick up this book now to find out.

My opinion

I really liked how the author made a dystopian novel that had a really nice story line. For those of you who do not know what dystopian is, it means the opposite of Utopian- a world that is perfect and happy. This book made me think of how the world would be in a place like that. I had to wonder what faction I would be in and what faction my friends would be in. What faction do you think you would be in?   Post down below. I could really imagine myself going through the story with the character, and that is why I really like how Veronica Roth wrote this book.

Critic’s opinion

Sunday book review by: Susan Dominus

“Divergent” holds its own in the genre, with brisk pacing, lavish flights of imagination and writing that occasionally startles with fine detail.

That was part of a review from Susan Dominus.

By: Katie Tsui

No one can argue that Divergent is not a fun, edge-of-your-seat read. It is easy to get submerged in, effortless to remain engaged in, and impossible not to enjoy even the slightest bit. But the simplicity of everything is also a con, diluting the power of the novel and changing it into a fairly cookie-cutter, fast-paced thriller.

That was part of a review from Katie Tsui.

Bibliography

The Darien Times. “Teen book nook: Review of “Divergent”.” Web. 1 Jan. <http://www.darientimes.com/author/the-darien-times/>.Bibliography

Sunday Book Review. “In This Dystopia, Teens Must Choose Wisely.” Web. 1 Jan. <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/books/review/young-adult-books-divergent-by-veronica-roth.html?_r=0>.

6 Comments

6 Responses to “Book Nook Week 6!”

1. April on February 26th, 2016 7:44 pm

I really like it, but it needs a little improvment. I like how you add your opinion. I don’t like how you leave cliff hangers and spoil the book for others how never read it. At the beginning I got confused because how is the book about a choice? And who is her? Please re-read your review next time before posting. Thanks for writing this it inspires me to read it.

2. Robby Richards on February 29th, 2016 9:36 am

Good job! I liked how you gave the summary of the whole book in the first part. I also liked how you included your opinion and the critics opinion. Maybe because of this article I will try and read this book! Nice work!

3. Matt Janus on February 29th, 2016 10:29 am

This article was very well written. There were no visible spelling errors and you made it sound like you read the book and you liked it. This article made me want to read this book, so good job on the writing.

4. Isaiah Olivares on February 29th, 2016 11:17 am

Good written article. I liked how you made me want to read this book after reading this article. You surely got my attention. Overall, good job on the article and keep writting!!

5. Joshua Watson on February 29th, 2016 1:44 pm

I’ve read this book and I think that you did a great job at summing it into a good strong article. I understand that, that can be a very hard object to achieve. Overall, i think that you did a great job at creating an article that created a inviting atmosphere.

6. Haley Miller on February 29th, 2016 2:28 pm

I really liked how you explained part of the Divergent book. I think you did a well explanation on what happens in the book. You really got me hooked on the Divergent book and now I want to go and read it!

Thank you for supporting LJH Digital Storm.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Author of the Week: Ally Carter

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook – Girls in Pieces

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Author of the Week: Marissa Meyer

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook 11- Epic

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook 10! – Cinder

• Book Nook

Book Nook 9-Slated

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook 8- If I Stay

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook 7- Wonder

• Book Nook Week 6!

Book Nook

Book Nook Week 5

Lincoln Junior High Student News Website
Book Nook Week 6!