Lincoln Junior High Student News Website

LJH Digital Storm

Virtual Learning Strategies- Week of 11.13.17

Objectives: 

*  By looking closely at an image, forming their own interpretations and sharing their ideas, students practice skills such as making an argument, finding and citing evidence, analyzing various accounts of a subject told in different mediums, making strategic use of digital media and participating in collaborative discussions.

HOW IT WORKS:  

Each Monday an image will be posted with no caption, no headline and no helpful link back to an article. To answer the question “What’s going on in this picture?” you’ll have to rely solely on the information you can gather from the image itself — and from the online discussion with other students.

After the image is posted each week, we hope a lively conversation will take place in the comments section as students post what they observe and why, and consider multiple interpretations of what they see together. (Though if you’d like to join the conversation later, that’s fine, too: comments will be open indefinitely.)

Each week you will respond by answering the following three questions:

• What’s going on in this picture?

• What do you see that makes you say that?

• What more can we find?

After you have posted, try reading back to see what others have said, then respond to someone else by posting another comment. Use the “Reply” button.  On Thursday each week, the caption will be revealed.

MONDAY- NOVEMBER 13, 2017, IMAGE

AND THE ANSWER IS:  Revealed:  11.16.17

ANSWER:  This week’s image comes from the January 2014 “Pictures of the Week in Business (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.” slide show.

The original caption reads:

A section of the new rolling gates for the Panama Canal’s third set of locks towering over workers in Gatun, Panama.

A planned expansion of the Panama Canal may be halted because of a dispute (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. between the building consortium and canal authorities over $1.6 billion in extra costs. In a filing with the Spanish stock market regulator on Thursday, Sacyr, the Spanish builder that is leading the consortium, said that the cost overruns, equal to about half of the value of the original contract, were because of “unforeseen circumstances.”

Watch this video (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. to learn more about these gates and the Panama Canal expansion project.

The photographer is Arnulfo Franco for The Associated Press.

98 Comments

98 Responses to “Virtual Learning Strategies- Week of 11.13.17”

1. Erik Nuñez on November 13th, 2017 10:31 am

What’s going on in this picture? I think that this is the wall that Donald trump is building.

What do you see that makes you say that? Because it looks like the wall

What more can we find? we can find more like what it is.

[Reply]

Seth Tallarita Reply:

Thats weird how you said it looks like Donald Trump wall

[Reply]

2. Richard Ward on November 13th, 2017 10:32 am

People are building the world’s largest computer.
    It looks like a huge computer tower.
    There are many men working on it.

[Reply]

3. Amber Schrameyer on November 13th, 2017 10:32 am

At first I believed it was a four car garage being moved but now that I’ve looked at it closer I feel like it’s part of some military base. I say that because its such a huge figure that has a railing or guard on top plus it has different shapes holes in it as well. Something else in the picture that helps me is that this object is being transported because there’s many wheels underneath.

[Reply]

Connor DeLee Reply:

Nice, I didn’t think about that.

[Reply]

Starla Maza Reply:

That’s a good idea. I didn’t even notice that until you pointed that out.

[Reply]

Nikole Melendez Reply:

Thats a good point, now I can see that the open spaces could be something for like
    the military bases to hold vehicles of equipment.

[Reply]

Alex Reply:

Wow, I didn’t think of that as an option.

[Reply]

4. Connor DeLee on November 13th, 2017 10:32 am

I think people just got done building somethings that holds some kind of vehicles. I see openings in the thing. There could be someone working on it.

[Reply]

Connor DeLee Reply:

I think people just got done building somethings that holds some kind of vehicles. I see openings in the garage of sorts. There could be someone working on it.
    [Reply]

[Reply]

Amber Schrameyer Reply:

I didn’t think of that. Nice idea.

[Reply]

Caden Reply:

I like the idea but I feel like you need to express it more. I agree with you but I feel like you should have made more points to it like what the holes are for and why there is that many people.

[Reply]

5. Zacharhyia Masterson on November 13th, 2017 10:33 am

What’s going on in this picture?

I think they are making parts of the wall for Mexico.

What do you see that makes you say that?

I see the big bricks on it and the parts that connect to others.

What more can we find?

We could find that the people are building it, The top has wiring, and one side has support beams to hold it up.

[Reply]

Kylee G. Reply:

How did you draw the conclusion that ” they are building parts for the wall of Mexico?”

[Reply]

6. Dayton Myers on November 13th, 2017 10:34 am

I think it might be a wall of some sort and they’re moving it to a place or to a place to build it or maybe a walkway. I see wheels at the bottom of the wall, a railing at the top and 3 large holes on the side.

[Reply]

7. Devante Garcia on November 13th, 2017 10:34 am

To me it looks like the workers are moving the wall that they built to keep people out.

The thing that makes me say that is that it looks like a wall. Another reason I say its the wall is because he needs something so that illegal immigrants can’t get over.

They could add a caption on what this thing is and where it is.

[Reply]

Franklin Paguada Reply:

Now that you say that i see it

[Reply]

8. Michael Norris on November 13th, 2017 10:34 am

The people in the picture are building Trumps wall.

There is a huge part of a wall type of thing with a construction crew.

A caption of what it is would be helpful.

[Reply]

Oscar De La Torre Reply:

I don’t see how it could be trumps wall. The object looks like it is made from a somewhat weak material, one that could easily be destroyed or badly damaged, and if trump would build a wall, he would probably make it out of something a lot more sturdy, so I don’t see where you are coming from.

[Reply]

9. Nathan Filson on November 13th, 2017 10:35 am

I see what looks like a one section of maybe a parking garage. I say this because of the four giant holes in the side of the rectangle. You can find that they’re either moving or have moved it using all the wheels on the bottom of it

[Reply]

Oscar De La Torre Reply:

I didn’t think of that, but that is a very good idea, it does make sense with the four holes in it. Good job on thinking of that

[Reply]

10. Emelin Rodriguez on November 13th, 2017 10:39 am

I think that in this picture the construction workers are about to put down some kind of building down in they empty space.

[Reply]

11. Alexa Esquivel on November 13th, 2017 10:40 am

What is going on in this picture is that they are moving this really big building.
    I say this because it looks more like a building that Trump must be building .
    What I can find more in this picture is that there are people moving it.

[Reply]

12. Cooper Eveland on November 13th, 2017 10:40 am

I think the image is showing a section of a wall. To me it looks like there is fencing at the top of the structure so people can walk on top of it safely. The slots seem to be where the pieces of the possible sections of the wall connect. Perhaps the holes in the structure are only on the upper half of the wall because the lower half will be placed far into the ground.

[Reply]

13. Kelsey Vanlue on November 13th, 2017 10:42 am

It looks like the construction workers are going to be putting down a parking garage. It looks like little garages put into one huge building. There are four giant open spaces that look like little garages.

[Reply]

14. Wohlfert Advisory on November 13th, 2017 12:14 pm

Mrs. Wohlfert’s advisory says this is either a section of a large wall or the hull of a boat.

[Reply]

15. Greggory quigley on November 13th, 2017 12:42 pm

1. What I think is going on in this picture is that this part is going to a hotel and it is part of a hallway.
    2. What makes me say this is that theres four doors that we cant see the end of them.
    3. The more we could find is the rest of the hotel.

[Reply]

16. Greggory quigley on November 13th, 2017 12:43 pm

1. I think it is a hotel hallway and it connects to the hotel.
    2. I say this because it is 4 paths that we don’t see the end of so they could be hallways.
    3. The more we could find is maybe the rest of the hotel.

[Reply]

Skyla Reply:

I get what your saying but there would have to be a door at the bottom and it would already be stable on the ground.

[Reply]

17. Adriel on November 13th, 2017 12:43 pm

I think that this is either a machine that helps with air conditioning in a city. This also looks like it could be a machine that can get cars over water or people. i say this because at the top of the structure it has railing.

[Reply]

Greggory quigley Reply:

I think this is a really good idea i never thought of this.

[Reply]

Adriel Reply:

thanks

[Reply]

Adriel Reply:

I just noticed that their could be other structures that could connect with this structure. These could also be gates because the opening on the side could connect with a wall and open up so ships could go through.

[Reply]

Tessa Hutchinson Reply:

That is a interesting idea, I agree that other structures could connect, but I don’t quite understand the opening up to ships part.

[Reply]

18. Kylee G. on November 13th, 2017 12:44 pm

I think that the construction workers are laying a bridge or some type of building across or into a ditch/river. I think that it looks like this because there looks to be some type of stabilizer that would stand the structure up or support it in some way. We can find a lot of construction workers near the structure that look very busy.

[Reply]

Mariah Stowers Reply:

I thought that some type of construction may have been happening as well.

[Reply]

19. Julia Kinney on November 13th, 2017 12:45 pm

I think what is happening in this picture are people moving a parking garage. What makes me think that is there are some open spaces that go into the building, and they look like they are meant for cars to go in. I just think that they are moving the building so in order to move it they had to turn it upside down. We could find more information by someone putting a comment saying what it is or by reading articles about a building with 4 open slots.

[Reply]

Chloe Weldon Reply:

I didn’t see it that way and it kinda does look like a parking garage.

[Reply]

Alexis Rose Reply:

I liked how you described this in detail.

[Reply]

20. Kiley Pitts on November 13th, 2017 12:45 pm

Many men are working together to put a big wall/dam to block a river or body of water. It is very big and it a fence like thing at the top that makes it look like a big dam. We can find that it takes many men to work together to make sure it is placed correctly.

[Reply]

Elaina McDonald Reply:

I did not think of that. Now that you mentioned it, I think it could be part of a dam. When I look back at the picture, I see pillars that act like they are holding it up, in this case, to keep the water where it is.

[Reply]

21. clayton pattersosn on November 13th, 2017 12:46 pm

Whats going on in the picture? I think they are building a prison wall. What i see is a big concert wall with guys making sire nothing happens to it. We can find thing on the other side of it and behind it and see what it really is if we get more looks around it.

[Reply]

22. Mariah Stowers on November 13th, 2017 12:47 pm

I think that whats going on is this picture may be some type of construction. What makes me say this is it seems like they might be taking this big object somewhere because it has lots of little wheels under it. And also because there are portable toilets in the back ground. And men wearing construction uniforms. To find something more we could look at the surroundings of the objects in the image. There is a small hill with what looks people standing in a large line.

[Reply]

23. Alexis Rose on November 13th, 2017 12:47 pm

I think that this is a part to a ship that the Military is working on. When I saw how it was being pulled and all the workers surrounding it made me think of this, and we can find were this picture was published to help us find more information on it.

[Reply]

Julia Kinney Reply:

I liked how you were detailed on why you thought it was a part to a ship.

[Reply]

24. Chloe Weldon on November 13th, 2017 12:47 pm

I think that it is some sort of screen that says important information for people to know. I think this because for like the Try way movie theater has something that kinda that looks like this. Also, I think it could be a wall because people are building it. We could find more pictures like this and compare maybe if they are the same thing.

[Reply]

25. Elaina McDonald on November 13th, 2017 12:48 pm

In this picture, I believe people are moving part of a building to another location. I say this because there are wheels under the big building like sculpture. In this picture, there are many construction workers. There are 4 different holes that could possibly be different levels of the building. At the top of the picture, there is wiring that looks like it could be a railing so if people are walking on top of it that they won’t fall off.

[Reply]

26. Nikole Melendez on November 13th, 2017 12:48 pm

The picture looks like some worker men are transporting a large water way machine. I know they are transporting it somewhere because it has multiple wheels on the bottom of it. It looks like the big open spaces take in water and on the side there are some red tubes. The tubes might be dispensing water into a water way. We can find more hidden features on the building to find out what it is. Also on the top of the building there seems to be railings. That could mean that its meant for people to walk on.

[Reply]

Jorryn Zellers Reply:

I never thought it as that way.

[Reply]

27. Starla Maza on November 13th, 2017 12:48 pm

I believe the picture in the above image is that the workers are building a stadium. I believe this because the grey object kind of looks like bleachers. The holes in the side sort of looks like the underneath of bleachers were there would be merchandise and more. If you look at the side you can see that there are boxes that sort of looks like vending machines.

[Reply]

Luis Herrera Jr. Reply:

That’s a good point, now that you’ve mentioned it, it makes sense if it were part of a stadium.

[Reply]

Madison Voreis Reply:

I never though of this. This is really good!

[Reply]

Anias Bakian Reply:

This is a good point. The more I look at it, the more I see that it could be a stadium.

[Reply]

28. Luis Herrera Jr. on November 13th, 2017 12:49 pm

I believe this is an image of either a section from some sort of garage, or a segment of a wall (perhaps Trump’s wall). I believe so because there’s ridges that could possibly be used connect the parts. Another detail we have to take notice of is that it’s a SECTION of a garage or a SEGMENT of a wall because it seems as it’s being moved around somewhere (I say this because there are wheeled devices underneath this structure).

[Reply]

29. Seth Tallarita on November 13th, 2017 12:49 pm

People are building a structure or moving the building. I see construction worker or builders that are by the structure. We find it on other websites or try to look up this building.

[Reply]

30. Alan Barrera on November 13th, 2017 12:49 pm

I think that it is part of a wall that they are moving. I said this because at the top of the wall there are rails. The people around the wall are wearing helmets and orange vest that shows they are apart of a construction crew.

[Reply]

31. winston on November 13th, 2017 12:49 pm

In this picture the construction works are making the wall that goes down by Mexico. What makes me say this is that I see the top of the wall there are wire fences for guards to walk on and not letting anyone pass. The more we can find on it is what is this giant wall used for.

[Reply]

Corinne Rhodes Reply:

I do like your perspective.– How the guards will walk on the top. I did not think of that.

[Reply]

32. Madison Voreis on November 13th, 2017 12:50 pm

I think that the picture above is some sort of storage unit. I think this because there are garage looking slots on the side that may be used for storage. Something else we can find is that there is some sort of fence on the top of the building.

[Reply]

33. Alex on November 13th, 2017 12:50 pm

What is going on in this picture is that the construction workers are moving part of a building with four floors. What makes me say that is the four open rectangles on the side and that could be part of a floor and it opens to some other floors. Other reasons why I think this is because the structure looks like it is made of big stone block, it takes a lot of wheels to move it, and it takes a lot of supporter beams to support it.

[Reply]

34. Colin Chupp on November 13th, 2017 1:26 pm

I think this is some sort of building that they are building. I think this because the side kind of look like windows. The more we can find out is the details on what exactly the building is.

[Reply]

Bennett Christy Reply:

I like how you come out and state exactly wht you think it is.

[Reply]

35. Logan Walters on November 13th, 2017 1:27 pm

I think the picture could be a dam. I think it is a dam because it is giant and can block water. We could find what other dams look like and see if they look similar.

[Reply]

Caleb Deacon Reply:

I really like your idea Logan, I think it makes a lot of sense.

[Reply]

36. Anias Bakian on November 13th, 2017 1:28 pm

I think this is a military base or a guard tower. I think this because it looks like it has a fence on top, and it looks tall enough that people can guard something. We can find more in the background. I say this because in the background it looks grassy and there are some construction workers. It also looks like there are a bunch of people in a line in the way, way back.

[Reply]

Leah Tanner Reply:

I like this idea because you gave details that nobody else stated.

[Reply]

37. Colin Chupp on November 13th, 2017 1:28 pm

I think this is some sort of wall that they are building. I think this because it is very tall and sturdy. The more we can find out is the details on what exactly the wall’s purpose is.

[Reply]

38. Caleb Deacon on November 13th, 2017 1:28 pm

I think the picture could be a dam. Well dam’s are usually really big and there is bunch of dirt on the ground and in that dirt could be some kind of water in that big thing of dirt. We could find more out by watching the news.

[Reply]

Logan Walters Reply:

I think this is a good idea because dams are usually really big.

[Reply]

39. Bennett Christy on November 13th, 2017 1:29 pm

The picture seems to be showing some type of big wall to block something or to let something travel through them. This leads me to believe it is a dam becuse of the wall and the holes that could fit a spinning generator. I think we can find where they are to improve the observation, and find out where they are putting the structure.

[Reply]

Colin Chupp Reply:

I agree because the holes do look like they could fit a spinning generator.

[Reply]

Blake Hedger Reply:

I didn’t think of this but now I agree with you it is the right size and shape also the holes look like they could fit a generator in there.

[Reply]

40. Caden on November 13th, 2017 1:30 pm

There is a couple of things going on with this picture. For one I think that in this picture the workers are moving this part of the worlds biggest parking garage to its location. What I see that makes me say that is that the openings are for where the cars go in and out and because it looks like there is a lot of people. Some more things that I can find are the fence on the top and I think that’s there for people to look on at the sites since it’s so tall. This is a huge parking garage and I feel like my answers help people see that.

[Reply]

41. Skyla on November 13th, 2017 1:30 pm

What’s going on in this picture?
    What more can we find?

What I think is going on in this photo is that they are building Trumps wall. The reasons why I think this way is because it it has people working and it looks like its near Mexico. We can find more is the fencing is so people won’t fall off

[Reply]

Natalhy DeLeon Reply:

I also noticed that the railing at the top would be there for the safety of others.

[Reply]

Dawson Reply:

this is a good guess i didn’t even think of this

[Reply]

42. Corinne Rhodes on November 13th, 2017 1:32 pm

In this picture, I think this is Donald Trumps wall that he plans for Mexico. The wall is one of the lately discussions on the news, so this would make sense. In the picture, I do see a large, odd wire at the top. Also there are holes in the side, which makes me think: Does another piece connect to another? In the picture it looks as if the “wall” has building pieces(they are connected together). From this picture we can imagine the construction workers and the background. Obviously this would be a big project to manage. Also I see in the background they are by dirt that looks as if it has been dug up. Which makes me to conclude to as if they were building it right then and there.

[Reply]

43. Natalhy DeLeon on November 13th, 2017 1:33 pm

Whats going on in this picture is that there is a truck moving risers for a stadium. What I see that makes me think that is the giant holes in the middle, the holes would be there to let people go through for any emergencies. Something more you could find would be the railing at the very top of the bleachers, this would be there for protection, from people falling.

[Reply]

Skyla Reply:

I didn’t of that good idea.

[Reply]

44. Vandalyn Daniels on November 13th, 2017 1:34 pm

I think that this image is of some type of bridge or road because theres railings at the top of it so maybe its for transportation uses and behind it it looks like theres a big drop off or hole where the bridge may be put in. It also looks like its on a cart so it can be moved easier or closer to the hole, but theres many workers around it so its probably still being worked on or being checked to make sure its safe.

[Reply]

45. Leah Tanner on November 13th, 2017 1:35 pm

I think this picture is of an addition to a building. I believe this because on the top there’s a fence which is used on rooftops sometimes. I think it’s about to be transported to the building because it is on wheels. You can find more by looking at the construction workers and seeing how the area is cleared for transport.

[Reply]

Tessa Hutchinson Reply:

I didn’t think of that, that is a good idea, a railing could lead to an important detail.

[Reply]

46. Jennifer Lopez - M on November 13th, 2017 1:37 pm

It looks like they are building a wall also looks like Trumps wall. It also looks like a part from a boat that they’re building. But if you look closely you can see the wires on top which would make sense if people were to try and climb it. The wall is one of the many discussions on the news. Also he did want to start the project soon so this could be it.

[Reply]

47. Oscar De La Torre on November 13th, 2017 2:33 pm

I think this could be a base for military training or it could be another building. I say this because it is an area with no windows, which could mean it is a test to see how someone could maneuver in a dark area for military training. It could also be a huge wall, since it towers over people and it is very bland. From the stuff surrounding the object, it is clearly under construction, because every person is wearing a hard hat. I can’t think of anything else it could be.

[Reply]

48. Tessa Hutchinson on November 13th, 2017 2:34 pm

What I think is going on in your picture is a parking garage, I think this because I see the 4 beams, and I see windows/opening windows. I see the I-beams on the side, and the people taking pictures.

[Reply]

49. Dawson on November 13th, 2017 2:36 pm

I think this is a truck about to haul something way bigger than it.
    I see that it is on a semi trailer and it is way bigger than the trailer
    I can see that it has a railing on the side so it could be a part of a dam

[Reply]

50. Chloe Eichel on November 13th, 2017 2:36 pm

In this picture I see construction men maybe women in the background. I also see machines under the big piece of what looks like wall. The machines are carrying the piece of wall to a place and it looks like you can connect the wall to other pieces. I think that is people building the wall that Trump was talking about building. I think that it is a piece of the wall that Trump was talking building because it looks like you can connect it to other pieces.

[Reply]

Evan Miller Reply:

I like the idea of a connectable wall, it makes a lot of sense to build a wall one piece at a time to save time and effort.

[Reply]

51. Evan Miller on November 13th, 2017 2:37 pm

This picture is intriguing. I can’t imagine this is a small project, could it be a train bridge or highway bridge? Perhaps a tunnel? I think it could be any of those based on the arches that look large enough for a vehicle to go through or even a train, in the same way a bridge would have arches for support. It could be a hybrid of both too. Why else would it be moved around in the middle of nowhere, where trains are.

[Reply]

52. Blake Hedger on November 13th, 2017 2:37 pm

By the looks of it a construction project is happening, it might be an edition to a building or a way to hold crates. It is a construction project because there are workers also it could be a holder because there are crates in the background and holes in the object it could be a building because the holes might represent floors.

[Reply]

53. Jorryn Zellers on November 13th, 2017 2:38 pm

I think that it might be construction workers building a boat. The railing looks like the top of some large boats. In the background in the distance it looks like there is a long row of people watching the construction workers work.

[Reply]

Chloe Eichel Reply:

I didn’t think of that. Even though it’s not a bad idea. I feel like a boat wouldn’t have the holes where you could connect them.

[Reply]

54. Franklin Paguada on November 13th, 2017 2:40 pm

What i think this photo is some type of bridge. I think this because in the pack you see hills and grass so there most be some sort of water around it. The holes on the side can be where the cars drive in and out. The layers of it can come apart and attach to each other on the other end. I think this because there is people in the back looking at it become a thing. More you can find is that there is construction works around helping out and there is tires under it so it can be taken anywhere to where the water is located.

[Reply]

55. Rodney Lovejoy on November 13th, 2017 2:41 pm

It might be the wall that Donald J Trump said he will have built during the campaign. I think this because Donald J Trump made remarks to it. ever since he has been president he didn’t say anything about. so therefore it might already might be done.

[Reply]

56. Luis E on November 13th, 2017 2:41 pm

I think that photo is like a garage because the doors are like a garage door

[Reply]

57. Ben Hutchings on November 13th, 2017 2:41 pm

I think in this picture the people are building a part of a boat. I think this because at the top I can see at the top a fence that could block people from falling of. Also I see things that look like windows, and on the sides of the structure are parts that people could walk through and gets to different parts of the structure.

[Reply]

58. Cameron Culp on November 13th, 2017 2:42 pm

I think that it is like a way for people to get across somewhere cause it is huge. Another reason why I say that is because it has fencing at the top. One last reason is that it is really long.

[Reply]

59. Connor Schmiedlin on November 13th, 2017 2:44 pm

This could be part of a wall. I think that because it’s by a acres of space to build it. I also think that because it has a fence like on top of it, and it has a base of a wall.

[Reply]

Thank you for supporting LJH Digital Storm.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Virtual Learning Strategies- Week of 11.13.17

Storm TV

STORM TV – MONDAY- 11.20.17

Parents & Community

@TEAMLJHS PARENT NEWSLETTER 11.17.17

Campus Life

LJH STUDENTS PERFORM IN NORTH CENTRAL ALL-REGION HONOR BAND

Contests

TRIVIA TIME WEEK OF 11.16

• News

7th Grade Basketball

Storm TV

STORM TV 11.16.17

Showcase

Words of Wisdom 11/17/17

Campus Life

Politics Club

Campus Life

Shop with a Cop

Showcase

Week 11.13.17 Birthdays