Lincoln Junior High Student News Website

LJH Digital Storm

VISUAL THINKING STRATEGY -WEEK OF 12.4.17

VISUAL THINKING STRATEGY- PICTURE OF THE WEEK

ANSWER:

This week’s image comes from the slide show “Finding Inspiration at the Struggle in Resurrection City” on The New York Times Lens blog. The original caption reads:

Demonstrators escort an elderly woman along the police lines at the Poor People’s Campaign. Washington, D.C. 1968.

In an Oct. 24, 2017, article about the photojournalism project, Maurice Berger writes:

Devastated by the assassination of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Jill Freedman quit her copywriting job at a New York advertising agency and headed to Washington, D.C., to protest poverty and live among shacks and tents on the National Mall. Little more than an amateur photographer at the time, her commitment to racial and economic justice made her the only photographer who stayed and documented the entire six-week encampment known as Resurrection City.

Her striking photographs are on exhibit at Steven Kasher Gallery in New York and featured in a book, “Resurrection City, 1968,” published by Damiani with photographs and texts by Ms. Freedman and essays by John Edwin Mason and Aaron Bryant. These photographs document, and invite us to reconsider, one of the most controversial episodes in civil rights history.

Resurrection City was the centerpiece of the Poor People’s Campaign, organized by the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and, initially, by Dr. King. The campaign departed from earlier demonstrations — which had touched on economic issues but emphasized racial discrimination — to focus on jobs, education and a fair minimum wage. Its expanded platform helped attract a wide range of participants, including poor whites, Mexican-Americans, Puerto Ricans and Native Americans.

Jill Freedman is the photographer.

***************

Students

1. After looking closely at the image above, think about these three questions:

• What is going on in this picture?

• What do you see that makes you say that?

• What more can you find?

2. Next, join the conversation by clicking on the comment button and posting in the box below.

3. After you have posted, try reading back to see what others have said, then respond to someone else by posting another comment. Use the “Reply” button.

4. On Thursday afternoon, we will reveal at the bottom of this post more information about the photo. How does reading the caption and learning its back story help you see the image differently?

69 Comments

69 Responses to “VISUAL THINKING STRATEGY -WEEK OF 12.4.17”

1. Dayton Myers on December 4th, 2017 10:32 am

It looks like a colored man, with the cigarette in his mouth, is helping an elderly woman through a protest crowd. There are signs that could be protesting something, there are officers to the left, blocking the road. We can look deeper into the photo and try to read the signs.

[Reply]

Kylee G. Reply:

I had the same thought, I didn’t see the cigarette though. Good catch.

[Reply]

Madison Voreis Reply:

Great idea. I thought the same thing.

[Reply]

Skyla Reply:

Yeah thats what I think too.

[Reply]

2. Nathan Filson on December 4th, 2017 10:34 am

I see what looks like segregation because of the police officers staring at a group of black men and woman. The pictures also taken in black and white which gives the feeling that it was taken in the 1950’s. It also looks like they’re being led somewhere due to good amount of people walking down the side walk together.

[Reply]

3. Connor DeLee on December 4th, 2017 10:36 am

I think there is and escort of somesort. There is a bunch of big beefy people escorting a small elderly woman with cops in the background. We can can find why the ,men are holding the woman’s hand

[Reply]

Caden Reply:

But what are they doing.

[Reply]

Colin Chupp Reply:

I like your thought on the woman’s hand.

[Reply]

4. Cooper Eveland on December 4th, 2017 10:41 am

I believe that a group of African American protesters are protesting with white women against both racial segregation and mistreatment of women. I say this because since the picture is in black and white, it indicates that it was taken during a time when both issues were present. Also, the mix of white women (the elderly woman and the one with an exposed hand walking closest to the police) and African Americans walking in a group so close to a line of police represents a march against the police.

[Reply]

Elaina McDonald Reply:

I agree because I saw in the corner of the picture, a poster that could be used for protesting. The woman also looks like she is holding a protesting sign.

[Reply]

Halle Hopple Reply:

I like how he used a lot of detail about what he thought was going on.

[Reply]

Alexis Rose Reply:

I didn’t think about the picture being black and white and what time period it was in, great idea.

[Reply]

Julia Kinney Reply:

I’ve never thought about that reason for why the picture is in black and white, nice thought.

[Reply]

Alex Reply:

I didn’t realize that the police were standing in a line.

[Reply]

Starla Maza Reply:

That is a good idea. I was going along the lines with that, but not mistreatment for woman. If you hadn’t mentioned it I probably wouldn’t of noticed.

[Reply]

5. Michael Norris on December 4th, 2017 10:42 am

I think that this is the apartheid era and these people are going to get beat.

I say that because the guy has a head dress.

I can’t find anything because you said not to look it up.

[Reply]

6. Richard Ward on December 4th, 2017 10:42 am

Black men are escorting an elderly white woman somewhere.

the black men are walking and holding the woman’s arms.

there are white police.

[Reply]

Natalhy DeLeon Reply:

I believe you are thinking of a protest.

[Reply]

7. Devante Garcia on December 4th, 2017 10:45 am

1. After looking closely at the image above, think about these three questions:
    • What is going on in this picture? This looks like the apartheid era.
    • What do you see that makes you say that? It makes me say that because the dude has a head dress.

[Reply]

Anias Bakian Reply:

You have a good point, I didn’t think about it being the apartheid era.

[Reply]

8. Alexa Esquivel on December 4th, 2017 11:07 am

This is a escort out of somewhere.

[Reply]

9. Zacharhyia Masterson on December 4th, 2017 11:19 am

• What is going on in this picture?

In the picture there is something going on with the law because the guy on the right has 2 dog-tags and there lots of cops.

There are lots of cops

• What more can you find?
    You can look at the surroundings.

[Reply]

10. Elaina McDonald on December 4th, 2017 12:25 pm

In the picture, it looks like the woman just got let out of jail and her family is walking with her quickly. I say that because the cops are look mad and some of them are holding sticks and others look like they are ready for action, just in case something bad happens. Also, the lady’s family, is giving the cops dirty looks because they are upset with them. You can look at the surroundings and figure out more details.

[Reply]

11. Greggory quigley on December 4th, 2017 12:26 pm

What is going on is a black man is walking a white women to her hotel. What makes me say this is that i see the black man walking the women with police around to protect them. I can find out who is the person why there walking and what time period it is.

[Reply]

12. Halle Hopple on December 4th, 2017 12:26 pm

I think it is a colored man helping an elderly lady throw a crowd. I’m saying this because their are a lot of people surrounding them. I can also find that it looks like a pro test cause their is white police officers and colored people.

[Reply]

13. Kylee G. on December 4th, 2017 12:27 pm

I think that there was a protest and the police are making the protestors leave. I see a poster- like thing in the women’s hand. You can also find another sign off to the right side and people in the background.

[Reply]

14. Julia Kinney on December 4th, 2017 12:27 pm

I think that some African Americans are taking an elderly women and taking her somewhere as the cops are just watching. What makes me think this is I see some men and they look like they are African Americans and it looks like they are taking this lady somewhere because she did something bad because her face looks kind of scared and then the cops are just watching them take her away. To find more out about this, you can look on the news for something about men taking away a women or you could look at the picture more carefully.

[Reply]

15. Alexis Rose on December 4th, 2017 12:27 pm

In this picture I think it is a protest saying that white people and African Americans can be together without having issues. I see the white woman with a lot of colored men carrying her and they have guards all around to make sure the protestors stay in line and don’t make any physical moves. To find out more about it you can either look at the picture closer or read websites and newspapers to try and find out so more information about this picture and what it represents.

[Reply]

16. Chloe Weldon on December 4th, 2017 12:28 pm

I think that the guys are escorting a queen. I think this because their are what looks like police officers guarding them a watching them walk. We can find more pictures that look similar but in color. Also, you could find out who the lady was and read about her.

[Reply]

17. Madison Voreis on December 4th, 2017 12:28 pm

I think that the guys holding the elderly women’s hand are helping her out of a protect crowd. OI think it is a protest crowd of some sort because if you look closely, in the right corner it looks like there is a crowd of people and signs. Something else that we can find is why are they escorting her out of the “protest.”

[Reply]

18. Alan Barrera on December 4th, 2017 12:29 pm

I think the guys are trying to help the Women get on the other side of the street. I said this because they are holding her arms. You can look in the surroundings to find more.

[Reply]

19. Starla Maza on December 4th, 2017 12:30 pm

In the picture I believe that it’s sort of a stereotype protest. In the picture I see two of the different race. One race is cops while the other is helping an older woman. It seems that the police are standing in a line with batons ready for something to go wrong. Also, the other race is helping the old lady in a group. It seems like they know that something bad will happen.

[Reply]

20. Adriel on December 4th, 2017 12:30 pm

I see what looks like racial issues because of the police officers staring at a group of black men and woman.It also looks like they’re being put somewhere due to good amount of people walking down the sidewalk together.The pictures taken in black and white which gives the feeling that it was taken in the 1950’s.

[Reply]

21. Alex on December 4th, 2017 12:31 pm

What is going on is that it is in the days of old and there was immigration, but this black teenager, who is smoking, is helping an elderly lady and the elderly women is helping them by making a protesting sign and there are cowboy and cowgirl boots on the African Americans and the elderly woman and based on the boots, the picture looks like it was taken in the western part of America at that time. I say this because of the boots on the woman and the African Americans, the poster the woman is holding, the security guards that are surrounding them, and that one of the African Americans is holding the elderly lady’s hand, like he is helping her with something.

[Reply]

22. Luis Herrera Jr. on December 4th, 2017 12:32 pm

I believe there’s an important woman passing through while there’s a protest going on in this image. I say this because there’s a big crowd in the background of this picture. Another thing that leads me to believe this is the fact that the woman is being escorted by, what I believe to be, security guards of some sort.

[Reply]

23. Nikole Melendez on December 4th, 2017 12:33 pm

It looks like some colored men are walking down an elderly woman to a building. I see a few men walking with a woman who is older. The men are just surrounding her. I also see officers standing in a straight line just staring at them

[Reply]

24. Bennett Christy on December 4th, 2017 1:02 pm

I think this picture is showing when the first black people went into a white college. It makes me think this because of the picture color. That event happened long enough ago that it was in a black and white picture. A white older woman is escorting them in and they are walking past a line of white police officers. I think . way to confirm this is to get a picture from the back to see where they are walking.

[Reply]

25. Caden on December 4th, 2017 1:17 pm

• What is going on in this picture?

• What more can you find?

I think that in this picture the person holding the old lady’s hand is her grandson and that the man is famous.I feel like that because there are police escorting them. I say this because there are a lot of police and then there are people pushing them forward behind them.

[Reply]

26. Anias Bakian on December 4th, 2017 1:19 pm

It looks like it is a march for the black lives matter campaign. I think this because it looks like they are marching and there are cops there to make sure things don’t get out of control. We can find more by looking at what they are wearing and the background.

[Reply]

27. Colin Chupp on December 4th, 2017 1:20 pm

I think someone is being arrested because there are a lot of cops in the picture. Someone also looks like their being escorted. I can find more by looking at the surroundings.

[Reply]

28. Skyla on December 4th, 2017 1:20 pm

I think that this is a picture of a protest that is going on and the guy with a cigarette in his mouth is helping the old lady get out of the protest. From what I can see is that there is a lot of African Americans and signs. I can find out more by trying to read those signs.

[Reply]

Tessa Hutchinson Reply:

That is an interesting idea, I wouldn’t have ever thought of it.

[Reply]

29. Jennifer Lopez - M on December 4th, 2017 1:20 pm

It looks like they are protesting for something. Since the cops are around and there is a group of people. Or they could be showing them that they will do something if they don’t.

[Reply]

30. Corinne Rhodes on December 4th, 2017 1:20 pm

In the picture it looks as if a riot is occuring. I see a colored man helping a woman through a trail of white policemen. I wonder if they have stood up for themselves that then caused a cautious riot. I could probably find more information if I had more shots of the picture.

[Reply]

31. Logan Walters on December 4th, 2017 1:21 pm

I think it is someone getting arrested. It looks like it because there is a bunch of police officers there. You can look at the surroundings to find more.

[Reply]

32. Natalhy DeLeon on December 4th, 2017 1:22 pm

In the picture a son is walking a old lady out from a protest. I saw that there were a row of white officers and the old lady was holding a sign. Lastly I saw that everyone behind the old lady was black.

[Reply]

33. Leah Tanner on December 4th, 2017 1:23 pm

In this picture, it looks like there’s a multitude of colored men helping and elderly woman through a crowd. I said this because I see police officers that look like they’re making a wall so nobody can get through. You can find more by looking at the men and the way they surround the old woman.

[Reply]

Chloe Eichel Reply:

Why would they being helping her? I don’t really get a lot of information from your expiation.

[Reply]

34. Vandalyn Daniels on December 4th, 2017 1:23 pm

In the picture I think that they are protesting for something. I see that there are many cops and one of the guys is holding a sign which could be something to do with what they were protesting about. If you look at the mens faces they seem really mad at the police that were around

[Reply]

35. Yarely Dorantes 6th Hour on December 4th, 2017 1:24 pm

In this picture we see black people walking with a white old lady. And there are white police officers on the left side of the photo.
    I say that because there are white men on the left of the photo and they’re wearing police uniforms. Also the old lady and the black people are walking together. Segregation included the separation of white people and black people so the reason this would be on a headline would because it’s new.

[Reply]

36. Tessa Hutchinson on December 4th, 2017 2:14 pm

I think this picture is cops having restrictions because the world tells other people that cops are doing it because they are a different race. I think the older lady is captured or taken by the other people, but the cops don’t want to get themselves in trouble.

[Reply]

37. Chloe Eichel on December 4th, 2017 2:15 pm

I think that this picture is cops have done something bad the older lady in the picture and the boys with her are most likely her kids and they are walking her out of a place. If you look closer then there is a older man so that might be her husband. The cops are lined up because they have to be there to see her and see if she ok and it’s nice to be there if you doing something bad. If you look the people’s faces and they don’t look to happy.

[Reply]

38. Oscar De La Torre on December 4th, 2017 2:19 pm

This picture looks like it is some sort of protest. I say this because there are signs, and a man walking through a crowd, helping an elderly woman, but it could also be the police protecting this crowd of colored people from an outrage. I say this because they do seem to have a worried face, and it looks as though they are walking fast. Other than this I do not know what it could be.

[Reply]

39. Ben Hutchings on December 4th, 2017 2:21 pm

I can see that there are police men, and I can also see that there are some colored people with this white grandma. This makes me think that this is an image were these colored people are helping this grandma cross an area were people are protesting.

[Reply]

40. Franklin Paguada on December 4th, 2017 2:21 pm

I think its like a young dark women getting deported or something because you can cops waiting and looking disappointed about something and the lady just staring at them. It also kinda looks like a fair because you see a lot of people in the back and in the corner you see a sign and the black men are wearing like cool necklaces and stuff.

[Reply]

41. Dawson on December 4th, 2017 2:21 pm

I think it is a march for the equal race rights against cops. I think this because they are all colored. I also think this because there are all these cops standing on the side of the road.

[Reply]

42. Evan Miller on December 4th, 2017 2:23 pm

It seems like modern art. Modern, because of the image quality, which makes the image look like a filter. It may be based on a civil rights movement, like in the 1950’s, when police were very racist towards African-Americans and racial tension was afoot.

[Reply]

43. Luis on December 4th, 2017 2:24 pm

I think they are protecting the lady that nothing happens to her and the police do not catch her and some people who have been taking care of her smoking and the polisias are watching her

[Reply]

44. Connor Schmiedlin on December 4th, 2017 2:25 pm

I think this was a march in America in the 1950’s or 1960’s to end segregation. I say this because of the signs, the policemen, and the black and white picture. I say that it was in America because we had problems with segregation. I say that time because around that time segregation was harshly enforced and people were fighting back, and the picture is black and white.

[Reply]

45. Blake Hedger on December 4th, 2017 2:26 pm

It looks like a lady being escorted through a line of police the police don’t look very happy with whats happening as they have there batons out and crossing there arms, the colored people look like they are triumphant I don’t understand why the lady is white it might be for the cause of segregation.

[Reply]

46. clayton pattersosn on December 5th, 2017 12:09 pm

i think it isa black persosn going to jail or he is in a gang

[Reply]

Cam Reply:

I think it is a picture from a while ago. While a colored woman is being escorted over the street.

[Reply]

Pedro Miranda Reply:

I think you are politically incorrect Cameron Culp

[Reply]

47. Cameron Culp on December 5th, 2017 2:15 pm

I think that that girl is famous because she is accompanied by a younger man. The other thing that I think is that the cops are trying to protect her because of the way that they are standing. Another thing that I think is that she could be famous is because she is being surrounded while she is walking.

[Reply]

48. Noah Fugate on December 8th, 2017 12:18 pm

issa a man smoking and walkng

[Reply]

Noah Fugate Reply:

and a woman getting escorted out of a city

[Reply]

49. Ella Stroud on December 12th, 2017 11:01 am

The picture makes me really upset

[Reply]

50. brian on December 12th, 2017 11:03 am

she is getting escorted out of the rally so she wouldn’t get hurt.

[Reply]

51. Bradey Pittman on December 12th, 2017 11:10 am

I think the elderly woman is getting escorted for some reason but it looks like there are protesters in the background. It also looks like the woman is carrying something in her hand. It looks like the group of people are all looking at the policemen like they have done something to them.

[Reply]

Thank you for supporting LJH Digital Storm.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• VISUAL THINKING STRATEGY -WEEK OF 12.4.17

Campus Life

LJH MEMORIES YEARBOOK RECOGNITION ADS

Campus Life

Virtual Learning Strategies- Week of 11.27.17

Campus Life

LJH STUDENTS PERFORM IN NORTH CENTRAL ALL-REGION HONOR BAND

Campus Life

Politics Club

Campus Life

Shop with a Cop

Campus Life

Spirit Assembly Dress Up Nov. 13th – 15th

Campus Life

Plymouth Winter Guard

Campus Life

LJH Spell Bowl

• Campus Life

BEAM youth group

Campus Life

Spirit Week Oct. 23-27