LJH Digital Storm

LJH Bands Bring Gold Ratings Home

The Lincoln Bands have been busy the past month. At the beginning of March, the Lincoln Jazz Band traveled to Kokomo to perform their music at the ISSMA Jazz Festival. They performed Come Fly With Me, a tune made popular by Frank Sinatra, and Blues in Hoss Flat, a Count Basie chart. Soloists included Anica Denney, William Kingston, Alex Cameron, Lucas Record, Eli Schramm, Carson Humphrey, and Cameron Ewing. The group earned solid gold ratings for their performance.

Two weeks later, the Lincoln Concert Bands traveled to Knox for their ISSMA Festival Performance. The Intermediate Band, a group of sixty students, performed Carolina Legend by James Swearingen, Too Beautiful for Words by Rob Grice, and IronHeart by Randall Standridge. The band earned a gold rating for their first contest appearance.

The Advanced Band was the last band of the night. They performed Hypnotic Fireflies by Brian Balmages, The Bonsai Tree by Julie Giroux, and The Last Ride of the Pony Express by David Shaffer. The band performed so well that they earned “With Distinction”, which means their performance was rated as a very high level gold.

“I am proud of how well the Lincoln students performed,” said director Lisa Wallyn. “Our students faced some major challenges with the lost rehearsal time due to flood and snow days. They recovered and put on an amazing performance. I am especially proud of the Advanced Band as this is the first time a band from Lincoln has earned a “With Distinction” gold rating in Group I, the most difficult level for junior high school students.”

Congratulations band members and thank you to all of the parents who helped make these events a success!